An Akron man is charged with Child Endangering after reportedly leaving his toddler locked in the car while he was inside the Jack Casino in Cleveland.
Cleveland Police responded to a call of the young boy locked in the car Saturday night, around 9:30. When they arrived, 28-year-old John Pierre McCallister was reportedly walking through the garage toward the car. He met the police there and reportedly said, "Oh, my bad. I was just coming back to check on him." The report claims McCallister told police his girlfriend had driven them to the casino and that she was inside. He later admitted that she was actually at their Akron home.
Police contacted the girlfriend, the boy's mother, and she told them that she was unaware McCallister was in Cleveland and that she would come pick up the boy.
McCallister appeared in Cleveland Municipal Court Monday and is due back in court next week.
Rescue crews have recovered the body of a missing boater from Lake Milton Wednesday night.
The body of 29-year-old Kyle Alspaugh was pulled from the lake Wednesday after he had gone missing from his boat Tuesday night. A witness, who was fishing on the lake, reports that he noticed the boat driving erratically. He told police he actually heard someone calling for help.
When police arrived, the boat was unmanned and Alspaugh, who hadn't been identified at that time, was missing.
Divers, K-9's, and even drones were used in the search of Lake Milton. After he'd been identified, Alspaugh's family was notified and was on scene at the Lake during the search.
Alspaugh was from East Canton.
Multiple authorities were contacted about an alleged student-teacher relationship, that had been ongoing for three years. Every investigating agency concluded that despite multiple text messages between the two, there wasn't enough evidence to prove such a relationship.
Now, 36-year-old Laura Lynn Cross, a former English teacher at Buchtel High School, is charged with three counts of sexual battery, stemming from the relationship she carried on with a former student for all those years, and that resulted in her giving birth to the young boy's child. Cross was the boy's eighth grade English teacher, according to records, which is where they first met.
Reports indicate that the teen boy's mother notified school officials, Akron Police, Tallmadge Police, Summit County Juvenile Prosecutors, and more, and got nowhere. Cross even won partial custody of the teenager, which is why he was able to move into her Tallmadge home back in 2013. A News 5 report indicates that the boy's mother didn't fight the partial custody ruling because she didn't want her son to "hate her."
Tallmadge Police Chief Ron Williams says there just wasn't enough evidence to bring charges against Cross during the time of the previous investigation. He says both Cross and the boy were uncooperative in their investigation. In response to the News 5 report, Akron Public Schools tells the TV news outlet they launched their own investigation into the alleged affair last Friday.
Cross is currently in Summit County Jail, being held on $100,000 bond.
A former Canton McKinley H.S. swim coach now says he did have a sexual relationship with a student, and more than once, back when he was coaching her.
Samuel Seiple, 57, says that between May, 2014 and November, 2015, he sexually assaulted the girl who was 16-years-old at the time.
The 8-month-long investigation by the Stark County Sheriff's Office revealed evidence of potentially other victims, but Seiple has only been charged in this case. In court on Monday, Seiple pleaded guilty to the sexual assault of a minor. He was sentenced 180 days in jail, but 178 days of the sentence were suspended. The Canton Repository is reporting the judge's thought was that the two days in jail would help Seiple "understand what it's like to be a criminal."
Seiple began working at Canton McKinley in 1994. The Canton City School district says he submitted his resignation on August 11, 2017.
An Akron woman is charged with theft after Summit County Sheriff's Office detectives were tipped off that she was pocketing donations to a victim's charity fund.
Back in July, Inspector Bill Holland says the third party manager of the "Walking For You" charity fund notified his office that something wasn't right with the money. The fund was set up to help the families of the victims of the May 28th accident along South Main Street in Coventry Township that left two teenagers dead and seriously injured another. Natasha Boggs, 24, of New Franklin, was charged with two counts of vehicular homicide, two counts involuntary manslaughter, and more, after investigators say she was texting while driving and cross over the marked lines along South Main Street, hitting the group of teens.
After an investigation into the charity fund, Summit Co. Detectives discovered that Melissa Szentes, 40, of Akron, who was volunteering with the "Walking For You" campaign, was taking donations and using them for her own personal gain.
Inspector Holland says that she is currently charged with theft, but more charges are possible, as they aren't sure how much money was actually stolen. The Summit County Sheriff's Office is asking anyone who may have donated to Szentes directly to call their office so that they can determine the total amount stolen.
Szentes hasn't been booked yet, as more charges are pending.
An Akron Metro Bus was involved in an accident at Perkins and Goodkirk Streets in Akron Monday morning.
Lt. Rick Edwards with Akron Police says the 61-year-old female driver of the 2007 Pontiac Vibe was cited for running a red light. Lt. Edwards says the driver, whose name hasn't been released, ran the light at Goodkirk and Perkins and hit the driver's side of the Metro RTA bus, causing that bus to flip onto it's side. On the bus were the driver and two other passengers. All three were transported to Akron City Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The female driver, meanwhile, was treated by EMS on the scene and not taken to the hospital.
Akron Metro RTA Communications Director Molly Becker says the driver will be drug tested for their own protection and be placed on paid administrative leave while Metro RTA conducts their own investigation into the crash.
Charles Queer, 64, of Tallmadge, was sentenced to 3 years in prison, fined $15,000, and has had his license suspended for the rest of his life, in Summit County Common Pleas Court Friday morning. Judge Joy Malek-Oldfield handing down that sentence.
Back in March of 2016, 17-year-old Patricia Powell's car had broken down along I-76 in Akron. Queer, who was driving under the influence, slammed his car into the back of Powell's vehicle, killing her.
Queer pleaded no contest to two felony counts of aggravated vehicle homicide and one misdemeanor count of operating under the influence of alcohol. In court, Queer's attorney said that while he's entering a no contest plea, his client is not denying guilt.
The family of Powell recalled that in court, Queer had expressed no remorse and had never apologized for taking her life. Powell was a senior at Ellet High School, scheduled to graduate that year.
Police have made an arrest in the murder of a 32-year-old Cuyahoga Falls man.
Edward Piechowiak Jr., 65, of Maple Heights, was arrested Thursday on aggravated murder and tampering with evidence charges, with other charges possibly pending.
According to police, they've also recovered the weapon used in the shooting.
Police were called to the Water's Edge Apartments near Wyoga Lake that Kevin Tiearney shared with his fiance on reports of gunshots fired on August 2nd. Tiearney was found unresponsive, transported to a local hospital, and was pronounced dead later. Piechowiak Jr. is listed as the maternal grandfather of Tiearney's child.
This is the first homicide in Cuyahoga Falls since the 2014 stabbing death of Amanda Russell who was found outside her Eigth Street home. Her former boyfriend, Jeffrey Conrad, is currently serving a life sentence after being convicted of her murder.
Piechowaik Jr. is being held in Summit County Jail.
UPDATE: The teenaged driver, charged with two counts of vehicular homicide and more in the fatal crash that took two other teens' lives back in July, made her first court appearance in Summit County Juvenile Court Thursday. Her attorney, on her behalf, entered a denial to the charges, the equivalent to a "not guilty" plea in adult court. She has been remanded to the custody of her parents until her next appearance in court on September 12th, at 10:30 a.m.
Akron attorney Adam VanHo, who is representing the girl, says she has never been in trouble with the law, adding that she is remorseful and is having a hard time dealing with the accident that claimed the life of her cousin and another young girl.
On Thursday, the Akron Police Department Traffic Reconstruction Unit has signed off on charges that have been filed against a 16-year-old Akron girl for her part in a fatal accident involving an Akron Fire truck.
According to the police report, the teenager drove through a red light at the intersection of West Exchange Street and South Rhodes Avenue in Akron on July 14th at 3:46 p.m. An Akron Fire truck that was traveling southbound through the intersection slammed into the teen's Chevy Trailblazer. Two girls, a 15-year-old from Akron and a 16-year-old from Tallmadge were killed in the accident.
The teen, whose name hasn't been released, is charged with two counts of vehicular homicide, two counts of vehicular manslaughter, one count of running a red light, vehicular assault, operating a vehicle on a temporary permit without a licensed driver, and operating a vehicle with more than one juvenile passenger, according to Akron Police.
Following the accident, the girl was transported to the Summit County Juvenile Detention Center.
The smokestacks have been partially cut down at the B.F. Goodrich plant on South Main Street for safety reasons, but the remains of the stacks that were trimmed can now be purchased.
The decision to shorten the northern stack came after the City of Akron was told the cost to preserve it would be around $1 Million, in addition to the growing concern for area residents safety as deterioration was causing loose bricks to fall. Demolition took place earlier this year, knocking off nearly 100 feet from the north stack. The bricks from that demolition were preserved and are now available to buy for $50 apiece, limited to three bricks per person.
“While the partial removal of the northern stack was an unfortunate necessity, it creates a unique opportunity for individuals to own a piece of Akron’s rich industrial history,” Mayor Horrigan said in a press release Thursday.