Crestwood Local School District announced Monday that football at Crestwood High School would resume with practice and that the Red Devils would play their first game in three weeks on Friday.
The announcement comes after an investigation into an "incident" at football practice back on July 28th. It was announced two weeks ago that the football team would suspend operations until further notice and that an investigation by Mantua Police was being conducted.
Mantua Police revealed late last week that they had found no criminal activity that took place July 28th, calling it a "school-related" incident. They did say that all of the information they uncovered in their investigation would be turned over to the Portage County Prosecutor's Office, and it would be up to the Prosecutor whether or not any criminal charges would be filed.
On Monday, administrators with the school told News 5 that they would resume football at the high school and they would play the game scheduled for Friday, October 13th, against Rootstown.
The Summit County Sheriff's Office is investigating a deadly crash in Coventry Township early Sunday morning.
According to the report, a 17-year-old boy was ejected from the car he was riding in after an accident just after 2 a.m. Sunday. Once the boy was ejected, he was hit by multiple vehicles along I-77 South in Coventry Township, at mile marker 121.
Coventry Fire Department responded to the scene, where the boy was pronounced dead shortly afterwords.
The victim's identity has not been released, pending the Summit County Medical Examiner notifying next of kin. The cause of the accident is still under investigation and no criminal charges have been filed as of Monday morning.
On Friday morning, just after 8 a.m., Green High School was placed on "modified lockdown" after a social media threat.
Inspector Bill Holland with the Summit County Sheriff's Office says a 17-year-old male student of Green High made threats and posted pictures students online. Holland said that the student claimed to be on the campus at the time the threat was made, thus prompting the lockdown. It wasn't until nearly two hours later, after the school was searched, that the student was found at an address nearby, not on school property. Inspector Holland was unable to comment whether or not that was the student's home.
A "modified lockdown" means the students were not locked in classrooms, and essentially, the day went on as normal. The lockdown was lifted just before 10 a.m.
Holland told 1590 WAKR that while the threats were not specific, charges are pending against the teenager.
The 911 call came in to Norton Police just about 7 p.m. Tuesday; reports of a man with a long rifle standing underneath a covered storage unit at the Barber Road Storage facility in Norton.
There were no reports of "shots fired" at the time.
Norton Police, Barberton Police, and the SWAT team comprised of officers from Norton, Barberton, and New Franklin Police departments, arrived within minutes. The suspect, 41-year-old David Michael Havrilek, was there with an assault-style rifle waiting for police and opened fire when they arrived. Police returned fire. The exchange lasted several minutes and Havrilek was injured in the shootout. Police then were able to take him into custody and then he was transported to Akron General Medical Center.
There is no word yet on the charges Havrilek, an Akron resident, is facing, but he is no stranger to the law. He has a criminal history, including charges for felonious assault and domestic violence, among others.
Norton Police Chief John D'alessandro said in a press conference following the incident that "the good guys" prevailed Tuesday night. It was Chief D'alessandro's ascertation that Havrilek was attempting to lure responding officers into a wooded area near the storage facility, but officers responded in accordance to their training and did not take the bait.
Barberton High School and Middle School were placed on lockdown, while the Barberton Sports Complex and two area businesses were evacuated. The all-clear was given and the lockdowns lifter at about 8:37 p.m.
While the situation was still "active," an Ohio Highway Patrol helicopter was deployed and officers used infrared to confirm that there was not a second suspect. There was no second suspect, just Havrilek.
Akron Police have arrested Crystal Bruce, 33, of Garfield Street, in the death of a man found with a stab wound to his chest on an Akron porch early Tuesday morning.
Tuesday, around 12:45 a.m., APD was called to the home in the 700 block of Garfield Street. Upon arrival they found 44-year-old Shawn Belville with a stab wound to the chest. He was pronounced dead about 30 minutes later. Detectives ruled his death a homicide.
Later in the day on Tuesday, APD arrested Bruce and she was charged her with murder, tampering with evidence, and illegal cultivation of drugs. She's been booked in Summit County Jail.
Cuyahoga Falls Police are investigating the second murder in the city within the past two months.
The Medical Examiner's Office and Police say a 27-year-old woman was found stabbed inside an apartment in the Falls in the 1000 block of Howe Avenue about 7:15 p.m. Saturday. The victim suffered multiple stab wounds, according to the ME's report. She died about 30 minutes later, according to the report.
Positive identification of the victim has not been released, pending an autopsy and notification of next-of-kin.
Prior to the shooting death of Kevin Tiearney back in early August, the last murder recorded in the Falls was the 2014 stabbing death of Amanda Russell outside her home on Eighth Street. Her former boyfriend, Jeffrey Conrad, is serving a life sentence for her murder.
The family of Anthony Jones, 36, along with the Akron Organizing Collaborative community group, is planning a vigil Friday night outside of the Summit County Jail.
Jones, who was an inmate in the jail, died on September 2nd after an altercation with two Summit County Sheriff's Deputies inside the jail. And investigation into his death is ongoing, but his family is calling for justice and accountability from the Sheriff's Office. The family says that deputies and jail employees need more racial sensitivity training and training in dealing with inmates who suffer from mental illness.
Jones's family says that he suffered from mental illness.
The vigil is scheduled for Friday at 5 p.m.
Convicted Akron rapist Roland Pyle, 52, was sentenced to life in prison on Thursday, according to Summit County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh.
Pyle's victim came forward to a school counselor recently, alleging that Pyle raped her back in 2013 on her 11th birthday. Pyle was charged with one count of felony rape of a victim under the age of 13 and one count of gross sexual imposition, a third degree felony.
Pyle is not eligible for parole.
Derek Waskowski, 30, of Stow, was sentenced to five years probation Wednesday, after pleading guilty to inappropriate contact with a 10-year-old girl while he was a gymnastics instructor.
The incident happened back in 2015 when Waskowski worked for Little Leapers in Hudson. A Hudson Police report details the contact made on February 4, 2015.
Waskowski pleaded guilty to one 3rd-degree-felony count of gross sexual imposition on August 7th. He was originally charged with three counts of imposition, but the other two charges were dropped. Summit County Common Pleas Court Judge Mary Margaret Rowlands suspended a 42-month jail sentence; he was facing a maximum five years in jail.
In a 5-1 ruling Wednesday, the Ohio Supreme Court ruled in favor of Summit County Prosecutor's decision to uphold a 2014 ruling that put convicted murder, and former Akron Police Captain Douglas Prade back in prison.
Back in 2013, new DNA testing of a lab coat Prade's former wife, Dr. Margo Prade, was wearing at the time of her murder in 1997 was ordered. In a subsequent hearing in Common Pleas Court, Prade was found not guilty of the murder he was convicted of in 1998. At that point, Prade had already served 15 years of his life sentence.
Immediately following the 2013 ruling, Summit County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh filed an appeal and in 2014 Prade was ordered back to jail after his original conviction was upheld.
On Wednesday, the Ohio Supreme Court said that Walsh was justified in her appeal, and upheld the original conviction once again, leaving Prade in jail to serve his original life sentence.
Click here for more from the Ohio Supreme Court.