An Akron man has been acquitted of knowing about and assisting in the shooting of a woman in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park during the Fourth of July holiday in 2016.
Raymond Moore III, 27, of Akron was acquitted by a federal jury in Ohio on Monday. He had been accused by the FBI, after an investigation, of driving Dezay Ely to the park all the while knowing that Ely had planned on shooting the woman that they were with. Ely did shoot the victim three times in the park and left her for dead along Akron-Peninsula Road back on the morning of July 3rd, 2016. She was found by hikers later that day along a horse trail. She had been missing for a few days prior to the shooting and had no identification, was unable to speak, and was left blinded by the shooting.
Earlier this year, Ely pleaded guilty to attempted murder charges, firing a gun during a crime of violence, and being a felon in posession of ammunition. He is due for sentencing in federal court on August 24th.
The Stark County Sheriff is investigating two separate robberies which may be connected.
The first, according to the Sheriff's report, happened Friday, June 30th just before 6 p.m. at the PNC Bank at 2800 Whipple Avenue NW in Plain Township. A white male entered the bank wearing a hooded sweatshirt, dark glasses, a white T-shirt over his face, and white gloves.
Witnesses told investigators that the suspect never showed or indicated that he had a weapon.
The second robbery happened Monday, July 3rd, just after 6 p.m. at the Dairy Queen 4110 Hills and Dales Rd. NW., also in Plain Township.
Deputies responded to the Dairy Queen where witnesses say a man wearing a T-shirt and shorts with dark sunglasses and a white shirt over his face and head demanded the cash drawer. The report indicates the suspect in this robbery did say that he had a weapon, but never showed one. He left with the drawer in a maroon four-door SUV-type vehicle, possibly Kia Rio.
In both robberies, the suspect is described as a white male, in his late 20's or early 30's, between 5' 6" and 5' 10", with a slender build. Anyone with information or who recognizes the suspect is asked to call the Stark County Sheriff's Office at 330-430-3800 or the Anonymous Tip Line at 330-451-3937.
The Stark County Sheriff's Office is investigating a fatal shooting that happened Monday evening in Canton Township.
Deputies responded to a 911 call just after 5:30 Monday night, to a home on 49th St. SW. Upon arrival they found a man with a gunshot wound. He was transported to Mercy Medical Center where shortly afterwords he was pronounced dead.
The victim was later identified as Michael W. Christensen, 30. It's unclear if Christensen was a resident of the home where he was found.
The Sheriff's Office is asking anyone who may have information on the shooting to call their office at 330-430-3800.
The Stark County Dog Warden had an overcrowding issue last week, and there were discussions at the warden's office of the unfortunate last resort: euthanization.
Thankfully, Stark County Dog Warden Jon Barber says that last weekend they had a good amount of adoptions and even a few owners reclaiming their lost pups, which doesn't happen too often.
With that said, Barber says, "That could change at any moment. It just depends on the number of dogs coming in versus the number of dogs going out." With the Fourth of July holiday weekend upon us, Barber adds that they typically see an influx in dogs being brought to the Warden's kennel. "Fourth of July, more so, dogs get scared with fireworks being shot off and things like that, and they'll run off and get turned around; so we do see more dogs around the Fourth of July." Barber recommends keeping dogs inside during fireworks, but, if you decide to bring your dog outside while fireworks are going on, keep them on a leash.
If you happen to lose your dog in the Stark County area, the Warden's office is open Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., closed for the Fourth of July on Tuesday, and then back to regular hours on Wednesday.
See more at StarkDogs.org.
Akron Police are looking for help finding suspects who broke into the Linda Theater on Monday.
The surveillance video caught the trio pilfering the candy stash at the theater, located at 1745 Goodyear Boulevard, about 12:30 Monday morning.
Anyone with information is asked to call Akron Police.
Akron Police are investigating two separate shootings in the city within a few hours of eachother.
The first happened around 9:40 p.m. Thursday night at a home in the 800 block of Sumner Street. According to the APD report, a 17-year-old male walked up onto the porch of the Sumner Street home and knocked on the door. There were two other males waiting outside, closer to the street. A 24-year-old male stepped out of the house and after a short conversation, multiple shots were fired. The victim, that 24-year-old, who was later identified as Deontae D. Henderson of Storer Ave. in Akron, was transported to Akron City Hospital where he later died.
Two other males, a 23-year-old and a 30-year-old, came out of the house after hearing the gunshots. They were shot, taken to the hospial by acquaintances. One victim is listed in critical condition; the other suffered non-life-threatening injuries. Neither of their names have been released yet. The 17-year-old who approaced the house was also shot. He was taken to Akron Children's Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Akron Police Lieutenant Rick Edwards tells 1590 WAKR that they are unsure who fired the shots and that the investigation is ongoing.
The second shooting happened early Friday morning, around 3 a.m., outside a gas station in the Valley, along Merriman Road near Portage Path.
According to the Akron Police report, a large crowd gathered in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven as the bars in the Valley were closing. Multiple shots were fired and two men, a 23-year-old and a 29-year-old were wounded. Friends of the two victims drove them to Akron City Hospital. Their injuries were reported as non-life-threatening. Their names have not been released. APD is still investigating that shooting.
The Stark County Sheriff's Office has joined the North Canton Police Department in investigating a string of vehicle break ins in the northern part of the county, most recently two reported overnight Tuesday into Wednesday.
Investigators with both departments believe it's a group of three or for suspects responsible for the break ins.
The North Canton PD says they've obtained security footage of one of the suspects using a credit card that was stolen from one of the victim's cars. Video from two different Canton gas stations, shows a white male with a beard and a vertical scar on the back of his head purchasing items with the card. He's seen driving away from both gas stations in a white, mid-to-late-90's Ford Escort wagon.
Anyone with information regarding the suspect or the break ins is asked to call the Stark County Sheriff's Office at 330-430-3800.
Akron Police are looking for help identifying two suspects who broke into Holeshot at 364 S. Arlington Street. It happened Friday, June 23rd, about 12:30 a.m. Police say they didn't get away with anything, but damaged a lock on a shed on the property. See the surveillance video below:
Anyone with information is asked to call APD Detective Bassett at 330-375-2490.
Akron Police say it wasn't a one-time incident of child abuse that lead to the arrest of Melijah Isiah Lacy, 21, of Sheridan Avenue in Akron.
Back on June 24th, Lacy's three-month-old child was taken to the doctor for a routine check up. The child was immediately taken to Akron Children's Hospital where staff found a brain bleed and multiple fractured ribs. They determined that the injuries were consistent with the baby being shaken on more than one occassion.
A subsequent investigation lead police to the child's father, Lacy. He was arrested Tuesday morning on felony child endangering charges and was scheduled to be booked in Summit County Jail.
The baby was placed in custody of Summit County Children's Services.
The Goodyear Blimp will represent Akron, and provide stunning live aerial coverage, during this year's Canada Day celebration in Ottowa.
This year marks the country's 150th Canada Day celebration, marking the country's birthday. The celebration is Saturday, July 1st, and will feature a parade, fireworks, and more, all covered by the Wingfoot Two.
It's the second trip to Canada for the Wingfoot Two; last year the blimp flew to Toronto to cover the World Cup of Hockey.
See more from Goodyear in the press release below:
(Goodyear) The Goodyear Blimp is returning to Canada this summer to take part in Canada Day celebrations in the nation’s capital on July 1. As the country celebrates its 150th birthday, the blimp will provide live aerial coverage of Ottawa’s festivities and fireworks, offering breathtaking views of the city below. The Goodyear Blimp is returning to Canada after two visits in 2016. The now-retired Spirit of Innovation blimp traveled from California to Abbotsford, B.C. in July, and Wingfoot Two, Goodyear’s newest and largest airship, spent two weeks in the Toronto area in September providing aerial coverage of the World Cup of Hockey.
“From the Olympic Games to World Series and Super Bowls, the Goodyear Blimps have a long tradition of being part of the most watched sports and entertainment events in North America and around the world,” said Paul Fitzhenry, Goodyear’s senior vice president and chief communications officer. “Canada 150 marks an important milestone in the country’s history and we are honored to be part of the celebration, working with our Canadian broadcast partners to deliver captivating aerial coverage to Canadians from coast to coast to coast.”
“Having the iconic Goodyear Blimp fly above Ottawa, Canada’s capital city, as we celebrate the 150th anniversary of Canada’s Confederation will add yet another notable moment to the year-long celebrations we are enjoying in 2017,” said Michael Crockatt, president and CEO of Ottawa Tourism. “The views from the blimp on Canada Day—July 1—of the hundreds of thousands of revelers in our streets will be spectacular!”
Wingfoot Two will fly over Ottawa on July 1 and those who spot it are encouraged to share photos on social media using the hashtag #TrueNorthBlimp. As part of the visit, the airship will fly customers and media, as well as the two lucky winners of Goodyear’s recent blimp ride sweepstakes. The blimp will cross the border into Canada near Watertown, N.Y. and travel to Carp Airport, west of Ottawa, arriving on June 29. It will remain in the Ottawa area until July 2 when it returns to its base in Akron, Ohio.
Wingfoot Two is one of the largest and most technologically advanced airships in the world. Nearly the length of a football field and capable of flying more than 110 km/h, it builds on Goodyear’s legacy as the world’s leading builder and operator of airships. Wingfoot Two will spend the remainder of the summer in Akron before relocating to southern California where it will be permanently stationed to make room for the next blimp being built in Akron.
Akron Police are asking the public to help identify three suspects who brazenly walked into a Victoria's Secret store and ran off with thousands of dollars worth of clothes.
The "grab and go" heist happened back on June 4 at Chapel Hill Mall. Surveillance video (below) shows the teens casually walk in the store and then load up with yoga pants, T-shirts, and other clothing items that were on display on a table in the store, and then run out.
Akron Police are asking anyone who may recognize the robbers to contact Detective Rhodaback at 330-375-2490.
The Akron Board of Education approved layoffs at their meeting Monday night, in the wake of the closures of Kenmore High School, Kent Middle School, and Bettes Elementary.
Those staff reductions consist of three admin positions, 31 teachers, 35 tutors, five office support staff, and more. Superintendent David James, says of the cuts, "In the end, this is what necessitates (being fiscally responsible with taxpayer money) for Akron Public Schools."
See the full statement from Akron Public Schools below:
Due to three building closures (Kenmore High School, Kent Middle School and Bettes Elementary) and the district’s continued efforts to operate in a fiscally responsible manner, the Akron Board of Education approved staff reductions for the 2017-18 school year at its regularly scheduled board meeting tonight, Monday, June 26, 2017.
The areas of reduction include:
- Three administrative positions
- Thirty-one teaching positions
- Thirty-five tutor positions
- Five office support positions
- Thirteen custodial services positions
- Three full-time, hearing impaired interpreter positions
- Three part time, hearing impaired interpreter positions
APS has already made numerous reductions through attrition (e.g., retirements, promotions and resignations). As additional openings occur, staff will be eligible for recall per their collective bargaining agreements and board policy. Superintendent David W. James said, after (Monday's) vote, “We must continue to be fiscally responsible with taxpayer dollars. In the end, that is what necessitates this eventuality for Akron Public Schools. It is most unfortunate that we must let go of outstanding educators and staff due to our economic position. My hope is that staff will be recalled to vacancies that occur to enable them to continue their service to our students and families.”
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine made the announcement that the entire state was expecting over the weekend: he's running for Governor in 2018.
DeWine made the announcement during his annual Ice Cream Social at his family's home in Cedarville, Ohio.
"I think I'm very well prepared and will be ready to go from Day 1 to make the decisions that a governor has to make," DeWine told the Jasen Sokol Show on 1590 WAKR during an interview Monday.
Of the challenges facing the state that DeWine said he'd be ready to face, the opioid crisis was tops on his list. He says he'll advocate for prevention programs in all Ohio schools, for students K through 12, to help nip addiction or even first-time drug use in the bud. DeWine says it's not necessarily about drug education, but really healthy life choices and decision making skills.
Speaking of education, the Attorney General says that there needs to be more accountability among Ohio's charter schools and all public schools in the state. He says he's not for more testing, but definitely for accountability.
You can see more on DeWine's campaign at his website.
DeWine joined The Jasen Sokol Show Monday to talk about his decision to run for Governor.
In a memo sent to Summa Health employees Monday morning, interim President and CEO Dr. Cliff Deveny announced that the health system would be eliminating 300 positions and consolidating or otherwise eliminating some services going forward.
The Akron Beacon Journal reported earlier Monday that Dr. Deveny cited a $60 Million operating loss for 2017 as the reason for the layoffs and cuts in services. In that memo, Dr. Deveny says Summa will continue to reevaluate the company's ongoing capital needs, and that all new projects must be evaluated against their critical strategic goals. That said, Dr. Deveny acknowledged that the $350 Million West Tower project at the Summa main campus in Akron will continue as planned. During a ceremony in May, the company broke ground just last month on the new West Tower. Construction is scheduled to be finished by Spring of 2019.
Summa Health currently employs 8,000 people throughout the area, making it Akron's largest employer. Of the 300 jobs that will be eliminated, Dr. Deveny mentioned in his memo that about half of them are currently filled within the system.
Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan responded to the news, saying, "A successful, independently-owned Summa Health is key to the ongoing economic and physical wellbeing of our city and the region. Just as our community depends on the care and services Summa provides for its health and welfare; Summa cannot succeed without the support and trust of the community. I have pledged to continue to work with Dr. Deveny and the Summa leadership team to do everything necessary to ensure the organization remains a strong and independent pillar for years to come."
Summit County Executive Ilene Shapiro also released a statement on the Summa layoffs, saying, "Summa has been an anchor in our community for 125 years, and during that time Summa has provided care at the highest level to hundreds of thousands of Summit County and Northeast Ohio residents. However, the current climate in the health care industry is leading many organizations to re-evaluate their financial and operational models and make difficult decisions to maintain quality care."