Monday, 05 June 2017 09:05

Akron Toddler Hospitalized After Overdose Dies

Written by

The 19-month-old baby boy who accidentally overdosed in his West Hill home in Akron last week has died. 

According to police, the boy ingested heroin, fentanyl or another type of opiate after coming in contact with a baggie at the home. 

At the time of the overdose, the boy's older sibling, a 9-year-old, dialed 911. He was given a dose of NARCAN at the home, but it had no effect. Afterwords, he was transported to Akron Children's where he was given another dose that revived him. Sunday night, the boy died in the hospital. 

The mother of the boy was at the home when police arrived, but left shortly after. Akron Police were trying to find her before she showed up about 3 hours later at Akron Children's. She was arrested on an outstanding felony theft warrant out of Portage County, but hadn't been charged in the overdose of her son. That boy, and the woman's two other children were placed in custody of Summit County Children's Services until further notice. At that time, last week, Lt. Rick Edwards with APD said charges related to this most recent incident were very likely to be filed soon. 

An autopsy is pending with the Summit County Medical Examiner's Office. 

Read 1454 times