Tuesday, 25 July 2017 05:19

Hackney Brothers Run Comes To An End

Written by
Christopher Hackney turned himself in earlier today. Christopher Hackney turned himself in earlier today. photo: U.S. Marshals

Life on the lam for a pair of Akron brothers wound up being short and not-so-sweet; now both are behind bars.

The U.S. Marshal's officer reports 28-year old Christopher Hackney turned himself in to authorities without incident. His brother, 30-year old Spencer Hackney, was arrested in Huntington, West Virginia by members of the U.S. Marshal's office on warrants issued by the Northern Ohio Violent Fugutive Task Force after he tried to get away from officers and rammed his vehicle into two cars being driven by the Marshals Service.

The elder Hackney is awaiting extradition to Akron but may face additional charges in West Virginia.

Both men were wanted since an incident last Thursday on Amherst Drive in the Summit Lake neighborhood when shots were fired at a 19-year old man following an argument.

- - -

(U.S. Marshal's officer - arrest of Spencer Hackney) Yesterday evening, members of the United States Marshals Service in Huntington, West Virginia arrested Spencer
Hackney, 30.

Spencer and his brother Christopher Hackney have been wanted since Thursday evening by the Akron Police Department after they were both involved in a felonious assault shooting in the 700 block of Amherst St. in Akron. According to police, both brothers fired shots at the victim after a verbal altercation in the victim's driveway. Spencer and Christopher have been on the run since.

The Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force developed information that Spencer Hackney was hiding out in the Huntington, West Virginia area with family members. Last night, Deputies were able to locate Hackney, when they attempted to stop him in a vehicle he fled from officers. As Hackney fled he smashed into 2 Marshals Service vehicles but was quickly apprehended.

Spencer Hackney is currently in custody in West Virginia awaiting extradition back to Akron. He may also face new charges in West Virginia in regards to the assault on law enforcement officers. U.S. Marshal Pete Elliott said, "Quick action by members of the task force and U.S. Marshals Service in Ohio and West Virginia are what brought one of the two of these men to justice. We will not stop looking until the second suspect is arrested and brought to justice."

Read 1343 times Last modified on Tuesday, 25 July 2017 11:48