Akron Police are investigating yet another robbery that happened during a planned sale of a cellphone.
The latest case was from Wednesday night around 8, when a 43-year-old man who drove to a public business along South Arlington Street to meet the seller of a cellphone he'd seen through an ad on Facebook.
The victim met the seller inside, inspected the phone, and laid cash on the counter. That's when the suspect, identified as Dwayne A. Nixon, 18, of Triplett Boulevard in Akron, took off with both the phone and the cash.
The victim immediately called police and officers, with the help of K9 officers, were able to track down Nixon and arrest him. He's been charged with two counts of theft and more, and booked into Summit County Jail.
This is the ninth case in recent weeks of someone being robbed during a meeting that was arranged through social media, but Akron Police aren't saying whether Nixon was involved in any of the previous thefts.
Akron Police, now, are offering tips to anyone who is looking to purchase a cellphone, or anything else, through social media:
• Review the buyer or seller’s profile before agreeing to meet.
• Communicate with the buyer or seller through the social media site only.
• Choose carefully where you agree to meet.
• Select a location that is a public place, well lit, surveillance cameras, and a large amount of traffic.
• Never agree to meet at their residence and don’t invite people to your residence.
• If you agree to meet them at a public place, take a family member or friend. Never go alone.