The Cleveland Indians have announced that after the 2018 season, they will abandon Chief Wahoo, removing the controversial logo from caps and sleeves.
Chief Wahoo has been the polarizing centerpiece of a long-running debate on whether or not the logo is racist. At the start of every Major League Baseball season, protesters gather outside of Progressive Field to voice their opinion on the logo as fans flock to the stadium for the home opener.
The logo was at the center of a national debate and was scrutinized heavily after a lawsuit was filed during the American League Championship Series between the Indians and the Blue Jays. The suit, filed in a Toronto court, was an effort to have the Chief Wahoo logo AND the Indians name banned from appearing on Canadian television during the series. Several Canadian broadcasters, and some national sports TV broadcasters, went as far as not saying the club name "Indians" during reports. The court case was tossed out by a Toronto judge.
While the team will not wear the Chief Wahoo logo beyond the 2018 season, the club will still retain the rights and hats and jerseys will still be sold at team shops and through other vendors both online and in-store.
The Akron School Board held a special meeting Saturday to decide how to proceed with the open seat that was vacated by John Otterman, who resigned last week after a suspected opioid overdose in his car along East Cuyahoga Falls Avenue in Akron two weeks ago.
School Board President Patrick Bravo says that, opposed to appointing someone, they will be taking applications.
Bravo adds that those interested should send a letter of interest and a resume, and that there will be an online questionnaire that needs to be filled out after submitting an application. Bravo says that all materials are due no later than this Thursday, February 1st, at 5 p.m.
Anyone who lives in the Akron school district cal apply. The selected candidate will finish out Otterman's term, which runs through 2019.
Fairlawn Police have made an arrest in connection to the arson fire at the Cornus Hill Mansion back on January 13th.
Sgt. Mark Schlegel with Fairlawn PD tells the 1590 WAKR Newsroom that 18-year-old Donavin Gowin of Barberton is under arrest and charged with Arson. He says that Gowin turned himself in to Akron Municipal Court on Thursday morning.
Three other juveniles were with Gowin at the scene of the fire, but Sgt. Schlegel says they were not involved with the arson. They have been charged, but only with misdemeanor criminal mischief. Sgt. Schlegel says they do not believe that there was any intent or premeditation.
The home was vacant at the time of the fire, and has been for the past several years.
In the wake of what has been a hyperactive flu season, Summit County Public Health has rolled out the new Influenza Data Dashboard, to give the public access to the most up-to-date numbers in relation to the flu.
According to the press relese from SCPH, the dashboard includes information on flu-related emergency room visits, positive influenza tests, hospitalizations and deaths. Wiith all of the reports in the news media about the severity of this flu season, SCPH Clinical Health Director Leanne Beavers says it's important to look at historical data when discussing and comparing the most current flu season. The flu dashboard from Summit County Public Health allows you to do that, with data as far back as the 2013-14 flu season.
As for the current flu season, Beavers says that within the past two weeks, Summit County has seen a plateau followed by a decrease in the number of flu admissions at local hospitals, but warns that in all likelihood, and historically speaking, we'll see an influx of Influenza B cases toward the end of January and into February. She adds that the Ohio Department of Health is already reported cases, though very few, of Influenza B.
Check all of the latest numbers from Summit County Public Health through the new Influenza Data Dashboard.
In addition to the flu data, SCPH has the most recent mortality rates in the county and state, the up-to-date birth numbers, and also overdose numbers for the county. Click here for more.
Since the first college class schedule at the first college, students have (probably) done everything they can to eliminate Friday classes.
Well, starting in the Fall semester of 2018, University of Akron is taking it upon themselves to remove Friday classes for almost all students.
According to a press release, the new initiative at UA, is not meant to give students a three-day-weekend, but to open the door to more opportunities for lab work, practical work experience, volunteering, and more on Fridays.
UA President Matthew Wilson says, “Quality learning and student success are the primary focuses of Five-Star Fridays,” said UA President Wilson. “Courses will be taught for the same amount of classroom time and involve the same academic rigor. They will just be organized a bit differently to allow for a more concentrated and purposeful set of experiential learning opportunities for students as a result of making Fridays available in this manner. The innovative approach is consistent with workplace flexibility trends.”
You can read the full press release from UA below:
University of Akron (UA) President Matthew J. Wilson today announced UA will move towards implementing an innovative class schedule this fall to better prepare and serve students. The schedule is unique to universities in the area, as it will enable most students to focus on classes Monday through Thursday and then participate in practical, career-focused experiences on Friday. In conjunction with this initiative, UA will look to continue enhancing its weekend, online, and evening scheduling as well.
The new initiative – composed of a “Five-Star Friday” and “Four-Day Core” scheduling – is intended to give as many students as possible opportunities each Friday to participate in cooperative education, gain practical work experience, and engage in internships, co-curricular activities, research, lab work, community service, advising, tutoring and more without worrying about scheduling conflicts.
Students also will be encouraged to use Five-Star Fridays to attend special events, collaborate with faculty and peers, and take advantage of expanded academic counseling, tutoring, career fairs and other career services. As a result, students also can have three days of concentrated time to prepare for classes, engage with study groups, and participate in meaningful study and research.
“Quality learning and student success are the primary focuses of Five-Star Fridays,” said UA President Wilson. “Courses will be taught for the same amount of classroom time and involve the same academic rigor. They will just be organized a bit differently to allow for a more concentrated and purposeful set of experiential learning opportunities for students as a result of making Fridays available in this manner. The innovative approach is consistent with workplace flexibility trends. ”
After an in-depth review by the colleges and the Registrar’s Office, it was determined that classes that had been scheduled for three days per week (typically Monday, Wednesday and Friday) could either be offered on two days during the week – by extending the typical 50-minute class to 75 minutes – or alternatively, by moving to a Monday, Wednesday and Thursday schedule, as an example. For many years, many other courses at UA have been scheduled for two days per week (typically Tuesday and Thursday), and those will be able to continue in that manner.
For pedagogical reasons, some courses, (for example, music, dance and art) need daily engagement with students and those can continue in that way. Deans, department chairs and school directors are working with faculty members to make those types of accommodations.
“Five-Star Fridays is an innovation in undergraduate education, featuring real-world experience and career preparation that enhance the value of traditional course work,” said Buchtel College of Arts & Sciences Dean John C. Green. “It will give our students flexibility to complete and enhance their degrees. Our chairs and directors carefully reviewed all of our course offerings and they found that nearly all classroom instruction can be implemented on a Monday – Thursday schedule while maintaining academic quality. In the few cases where a revised schedule would be problematic, we will either maintain the current schedule or make additional arrangements."
Since last fall, the Five-Star Fridays concept has been talked about at college and administrative unit town hall meetings on campus, at UA’s Faculty Senate and with University Council. It has been discussed among University leadership and within colleges and departments. A survey was conducted of approximately 15,000 students, with nearly 5,000 responses recorded, and conversations have been held with dozens of high school counselors and numerous high school principals.
“We’ve received a lot of favorable feedback about the Five-Star Fridays concept,” said Wilson. “The new scheduling will assist students with their organization and class preparation, facilitate greater preparation for entering the workforce, make possible more flexible learning opportunities, and be yet another of UA’s distinguishing features for prospective and current students.”
Wilson continued, “Among many benefits, Five-Star Fridays will reduce the number of missed classes for student athletes, our elite engineering design teams, academic competition teams and other students who need to travel. It will make scheduling job and internship interviews easier for all students. UA will join departments at a number of major universities in the Washington, D.C. area, for example, that do not schedule Friday classes so that students can intern with government agencies for the entire day. When students use Five-Star Fridays wisely, it will certainly enhance their experience and increase the value of their degree.”
“After surveying thousands of students, the consensus is clear – students support the Five-Star Fridays academic week,” said Taylor Bennington, president of UA’s Undergraduate Student Government. “The idea is innovative, creative, and is just another way UA is setting itself apart in Northeast Ohio.”
The Five-Star Fridays schedule begins with the Fall 2018 semester.
The Akron-Canton Airport is reporting a 9% drop in passengers from 2016 to 2017.
According to the data, 1.27 million passengers flew in and/or out of CAK in 2017, compared to 1.4 million the year before. That is the lowest number of air travelers at the airport in more than a decade. In an interview with WAKR News, CAK President and CEO Rick McQueen primarily cited Southwest Airlines exit from the airport in 2017 as the reason for the sharp drop. The airline gradually reduced their services at CAK throughout 2017.
McQueen, who announced earlier this year that he would be retiring at the end of 2018, says they have had some victories during and then after the departure of Southwest, but it was a major hit, and it will take some time to recover completely.
The Stark County Prosecutor John D. Ferrero's office has announced guilty pleas in the bust of two local casinos after an investigation revealed they were distributing cash payouts on mmachines.
According to the press release, Paul and Debra Kasapis, who owned the Lucky Fox in Jackson Township and the El Dorado City of Gold in Canton Township, were paying cash to winners of video slots and other gambling machines. They were supposed to, under Ohio law, only be paying out vouchers for prizes worth less than $10.00.
Ohio state law prohibits cash payouts outside of the four commercial casinos in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo, and Columbus, and also racinos within the state.
The investigation resulted in the closure of both the Lucky Fox and the El Dorado City of Gold, and the seizure of over $700,000 in assets and cash, 400 gambling machines, cars and other vehicles, and personal property.
Paul and Debra Pasapis have been charged and pleaded guilty to two fifth degree felony charges of Operation of Illegal Casino, two first degree misdemeanor counts of Gambling, and two first degree misdemeanor counts of Operation of a Gambling House.
The statewide missing adult alert for 70-year-old Stephen Demlow of Akron. has been cancelled.
Authorities say Demelow, who disappeared on Sunday night--returned home on his own.
A Missing Adult Alert has been issued by the akron PD statewide.
Information as of: January 23, 2018 at 1:59 AM
Be on the lookout for a missing adult. On January 21, 2018 at 7:00 PM, Mr. Demlow left his residence and has not returned.
The incident took place in Summit County, OH On Morrison Street in the city of Akron 44312.
The adult's name is Stephen Demlow and the individual is missing. The adult is a White male, age 70, is 5'10" tall, weighs 178lbs, and has brown hair and blue eyes. Mr. Demlow has left his residence and not returned, he does have a history of Diabetes and a Traumatic Brain Injury.
The vehicle involved is a gray 2008 Kia Rio with OH plate number RIOCOOL. Vehicle pictured is not actual vehicle involved.
Call or dial 911 if you see the adult or the vehicle. You can also call 1-866-693-9171 or 911 to be transferred directly to the investigating law enforcement agency or to hear the alert information.
To view photographs, visit the Endangered Missing Adult Alert website at: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law-Enforcement/Local-Law-Enforcement/Missing-Adult-Alert
To unsubscribe reply to this email with "unsubscribe" as the subject or call (800) 325-5604.
Barberton Police and U.S. Marshals arrested an Akron man in connection to a weekend shooting in Barberton.
According to reports, police were called to the area of Wooster Road and Sylverster Road in Barberton Saturday night around 9 p.m. for a shooting. Police say it was two groups of people that gathered because of an argument over a woman, whose former boyfriend and current boyfriend were both involved.
During the altercation, someone opened fire, injuring three people; a 23-year-old man, a 48-year-old man, and a 28-year-old woman. All suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
After some tips, the Barberton Police and U.S. Marshals arrested Quawlin Mabry, 18, of Akron, in connection to the shooting.
Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan has released the full budget plan for the funds the city raised through the successful passage of Issue 4 on the November ballot.
Below is the full release and budget from the Mayor's office.
Today, Mayor Dan Horrigan released the City’s plan for spending “Issue 4” funds in 2018. The budget outlines a plan for more than $13 Million in increased investment in police and fire protection and roadway improvements in Akron.
On November 7, 2017, Akron voters overwhelmingly supported Issue 4, a charter amendment that levied an additional .25% income tax to support police, fire, and roadway improvements in Akron. The tax took effect on January 1, 2018 and the City will receive additional revenue starting in February.
“This budget is a reflection of promises kept,” Mayor Dan Horrigan said. “While my administration continues to tackle difficult financial challenges resulting from cuts in state and federal funding, I am proud to budget for $13 million in new investment in our core city services that will keep our neighborhoods safe and strong. As pledged, these new funds will be split roughly equally between police, fire, and roadway improvements, depending on the most pressing needs of each department each year.”
“We are incredibly thankful that the community came together to raise this critically important and much-needed revenue,” Fire Chief Clarence Tucker said. “I’m proud to say that, thanks to these new funds, we expect to break ground on a new Station 2 this year—our first new fire station in several decades. Additionally, this year we will be able to purchase the recommended second set of fire gear for all our firefighters and extractor machines for every fire station, to ensure our front line personnel always have access to a clean, safe set of protective gear.”
“In the Akron Police Department, we will be purchasing 50 new vehicles to replace deteriorating cruisers, investing in our body-worn camera program, and making important updates to our 9-1-1 operating software to improve our service to the public,” Akron Police Chief Ken Ball said. “Without these funds, much of this simply would not be possible.”
You can see the full budget here.
Two women, 2 dogs, 10 cats, and 1 snake all managed to get out safely when the home they were living in on Kennebex Avenue in Akron caught fire Sunday afternoon. According to the report from Akron Fire, the fire was under control around 4 p.m. Sunday. No one was injured.
Akron Fire investigators haven't determined the cause yet.
The American Red Cross is assisting the residents.
There's been no owrd on the extent of the damage at the home.
Editor's note: A previous version omitted the names of Connie Pillich and Scott Schertzer.
When Akron Police arrived at the home in the 1100 block of Bethany Avenue Thursday night on a call of a man shot, they found the victim sitting on the porch of the home with mutliple gunshot wounds, holding a gun.
The call first came in around 10 p.m. The victim was sitting on the porch and had suffered gunshot wounds to the face, chest, and arms. Upon approaching the home, officers noticed that the man was holding a handgun. They secured the gun and then the victim was transported to Akron City Hospital. According to the APD report Friday morning, the victim, whose name hasn't been released, was in serious condition.
According to that report, detectives were not given any suspect description or any more information. Now, they're asking for anyone who may know something to call them.
UPDATE: Kent State University has rejected the request from white nationalist Richard Spencer to speak on May 4th at the Multicultural Center on campus.
In a release, the college says they simple couldn't accomodate Spencer's request as April 30th through May 12th is an "exceptionally busy" time on campus.
White Nationalist Richard Spencer, who is known for speaking tours at college campuses across the U.S., is reportedly part of a request to reserve the Kent State University Multicultural Center, on May 4th of this year, for a speech.
KentWired.com is reporting that a Tweet sent out by Kyle Bristow (posted below), a lawyer who represents Spencer's National Policy Institute, acknowledged that Spencer's tour manager Cameron Padgett is working on the reservation, and that Padgett would have Spencer speak at the event on May 4th.
May 4th, 2018, would be the 48th anniversary of the shooting of four unarmed college students by National Guardsmen on Kent State's campus during a Vietnam War protest.
Spencer, meanwhile, is suing both University of Cincinnati and Ohio State University for not allowing him to speak on campus.
Read more from KentWired.com.