Monday, 10 June 2024 18:21

Akron Officials Update Community on Recent Mass Shooting Featured

Written by

Akron City officials updated the community on the mass shooting in Akron on June 2.

The number of people reported injured has changed several times since it happened. First, police said it was 27, then, they revised it down to 25, then, it went back up to 27, and now, officials say the stands at 28.

One 27 year old man, Lateris Cook, died from the drive-by shooting, which took place in East Akron.

No one has yet been arrested in connection with the crime, though officials say they are still following up on tips.

Today, Akron Mayor Shammas Malik announced the City is forming a Gun Violence Response fund.

Most of the money will be allocated to help those specifically impacted by the mass shooting earlier this month, though the plan is to have it be an ongoing community resource to help victims of other types of gun violence, like suicide, for example. Funds can be used to cover things like the loss of work because of injury, funeral, medical, and other related expenses.

He said much of the inspiration for creating the fund, came from former Dayton Mayor, Nan Whaley, and members of the Dayton Community Fund, who shared what they did to help victims of the 2019 mass shooting that claimed the lives of 9 people, and injured 17 others in Dayton.

$50 thousand dollars will be contributed by the Akron Community Foundation, The Victim Assistance Program, the United Way of Summit and Medina Counties, and the rest–$150 thousand dollars–will come from the City of Akron. 

Akron Mayor Shammas Malik said he would ask City Council to allocate the funds, tonight.

For more information, watch the Press conference video, below:

Read 808 times Last modified on Tuesday, 11 June 2024 05:52